Official information about U.S. Passports is available from the State Department website and from the National Passport Information Center (1-877-487-2778). The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports. The Library can provide copies of any needed passport forms or forms can be found on the State Department website. Questions can also be directed to the Library's Information and Reference Department (513-369-6900). Passport applications are accepted in the Information and Reference Department on the second floor of the South Building at the Main Library at 800 Vine Street.
Hours of Service
Walk-In Service (no appointment necessary):
- Monday–Friday: 9:00 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 1:00–4:00 p.m.
- Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday: 3:00–7:30 p.m.
- Thursday & Friday: 3:00–4:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Parking and Directions
- Parking is available at metered on-street spaces and at several pay garages or surface lots within a short walking distance of the Library. The closest city garage is the Garfield Garage located on the south side of Ninth Street between Vine and Race Streets.
- Directions to the Main Library
How to Apply
If this is your first passport, you will need to apply in person. When applying for a passport in person, you need to submit:
- A Completed DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport
The DS-11 form can be completed online or printed from the State Department website; forms are also available at the Main Library.
- When filling out forms by hand, print legibly using black ink only.
- Forms need to be completed before an acceptance agent can begin to process your application.
- Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the passport agent.
- All submitted documents must be originals or certified copies.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Proof of citizenship may be a previous undamaged U.S. passport, certified birth certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certification of Birth. If you do not have a certified copy of your birth certificate you can find the requirements to get a certified copy by referring to the Center for Disease Control’s Where to write for Vital Records. If you were born in Ohio you can find information about obtaining a certified copy of your Birth Certificate through the Ohio Department of Health. All submitted documents will be returned to the applicant in a separate mailing.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of identity may be established with a previous undamaged U.S. passport or a current fully valid driver’s license, a Naturalization Certificate, Government I.D., or military I.D. card. When such identity documents are from outside Ohio, Greater Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, and Southeast Indiana or are expired, additional documentation must be presented. Photocopies of both sides of identity documents must be submitted.
- Social Security number
- Please include your Social Security Number (SSN) on your passport application; the SSN must be submitted in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E. Failure to include your SSN will subject applicants to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS.
- Passport Photo
- Passport photos must be 2″×2″ in size and the face must measure between 1″ and 1⅜″ from tip of chin to top of hair. The photos must be in color, taken within the last 6 months and include whole-face views against a white background. Uniforms or head-covering should not be worn (exclusions exist for those with religious reasons); eyeglasses (or reflections) should not obscure the eyes. Unacceptable photos may delay processing time.
Two separate payments are required for a new passport:
- The passport fee: payable by personal check or money order (cash, starter checks, and credit/debit cards are unacceptable) to U.S. Department of State.
- The execution fee: payable by personal check, money order, or cash (starter checks and credit/debit cards are unacceptable) to the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County.
Other Passport Acceptance Agencies
Agencies in Cincinnati and across the region can be located through the Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page.
More Travel Information
The Library’s Sites by Subject listing for travel offers an extensive list of websites for trip planning, including airline, hotel, car rental, and guides.